Welcome to Finding Our Voices Blog

Finding Our Voices is a non-profit organization in Colorado Springs that sponsors an art exhibit each April. The event showcases artistic expressions of survivors of sexual abuse and their allies. Artists are invited to exhibit in the annual April FOV Art Show for Sexual Abuse Awareness Month (SAAM)

Friday, April 23, 2010

Aftershocks: Trauma Therapy


At the annual art show and sale for SAAM (Sexual Abuse Awareness Month) Joyce Aubrey, founder of Finding Our Voices, illustrated her fascinating journey of recovery through her presentation called "Aftershocks."

Joyce says:

"I titled my collection of 30 process paintings AFTERSHOCKS because they illustrate my trials and triumphs as a survivor of childhood sexual abuse .The aftershocks of earthquakes are dangerous and unpredictable, as are the after-effects of incest. It was not the world I knew that surfaced in my art, it was the world of a frightened little girl hidden inside me who was begging to be acknowledged. In my paintings you can see progress through denial, shame and anger to self-discovery, contentment and creative joy."


Joyce presents her process of healing from trauma to churches, youth centers, schools, and other community organizations throughout the Pikes Peak region. You can contact her at fovartshow@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment