Welcome to Finding Our Voices Blog

Finding Our Voices is a non-profit organization in Colorado Springs that sponsors an art exhibit each April. The event showcases artistic expressions of survivors of sexual abuse and their allies. Artists are invited to exhibit in the annual April FOV Art Show for Sexual Abuse Awareness Month (SAAM)

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Finding Our Voices Featured Artist Maria R. Smith

Coloring Outside the Lines

Maria Smith, in her own words: "It all started when I was 18 years old. I had a passion for art, but was a stickler for straight lines and never coloring outside the lines. This journey started with oil paints. After 20 years I braved myself into watercolors and went crazy when the paint moved outside the lines; it was great therapy for a perfectionist like me! It helped me to find who I really am... an abstract and expressionistic artist, indeed. I now work with multi-media and love incorporating quotes and various interesting items in my paintings. Learning to let go and get wild with colors has been the most fun I've had! It's therapeutic, healing, and spiritual: a gift I hope to share with others."

Thank you to Maria for being a loyal contributor to Finding Our Voices. Our members enjoy seeing what new and fabulous art you have that speaks to our hearts each year!

No comments:

Post a Comment